No Cancer RP
epic server

Off Topic, but...
Darth Zan Offline
I've been here for a few weeks and the server has had lag issues as of lately. It'll get super laggy for everyone and it'll crash on an occasion and not come up and it's even gotten to the point that it's been down for around 24 hours.

Everytime these issues happen, the mods and admins say it's "Someone DDOSing the server!" but I just don't get it. I've been playing Gmod for years and I'm just not sure how a server can see a DDOS almost daily! It's even gotten bad enough that it has wiped the floor with the server the past few days??? Seriously? My old servers have NEVER seen a DDOS attack before and I was on them for 300 hours or so each! I've been on NCRP for about 36 hours now and I've seen a crash happen about 4 times and the server went dead twice in two days out of the approximate 3 weeks I've been on the server.

I just see it as a possible issue with the amount of people in the server because it seems to correlate. If there is more than 36 - 40 people in the server, the server starts to lag up a storm. It just nevers seems to be able to handle more than that. Sunday, this last weekend, I saw the server at it's max and it literally moved like molasses. The server had an near crash that wiped the server to below 40 people and then it suddenly ceased all lag.

Is it possible that the server isn't powerful enough to play with more than 40 players?

I just don't understand the amount of issues this server seems to suffer on the norm, it just seems nearly impossible that everyday is another DDOS attack. How can that even be true? Does NCRP have that many rival servers that they pay attention and lag out the server anytime it surpasses 36 players? When it goes up to 40 players is just when someone slacked to send in the DDOS? It all seems so confusing, but then again, I haven't ran a server before, so maybe I don't understand how often it happens. I'm just positive I've never experienced a server lag so hard entirely based on a "DDOS attack" on the daily.

Can I get a better explanation to the issue and a more laid out idea about the whole DDOS thing?
Sith Lord Darth Zan at your service.

ooz Offline
:(
deal with it lol
please turn on your magic bean

|NC|RP| Aws0me Offline
Owner
The first reason you might experience lag on the server is kind of hard even for me to understand, which is why I can’t seem to come up with a good solution. When a player joins the server ULX has to read a lot of data and set it accordingly for the player. Sometimes this causes lag especially when there are a lot of people all joining at once. This is pretty annoying but I’m working to fix it and hopefully I will be able to soon. About the server crashing, the server never really crashes by itself at all. The only time the server can crash is if someone can find an exploit to crash the server. Sometimes these exploits are with lua and sometimes people use props/toolgun to crash the server. Every prop exploit I know of is patched. The server rarely does crash and when it does I review all the logs to try to determine why it crashed, who did it, and how to fix it. Yes, the server does get ddosed quite frequently. The server usually gets ddosed multiple times a week. Our host has very good ddos protection, like stated on our website we are not affected by 99.9% of ddos attacks. However, there are rare attacks by people who actually know what they are doing and have the resources to ddos us(this means they could ddos most servers very easily. Last week we got ddosed by a very large attack that was unable to be mitigated which caused the server’s ip to be null routed each time for 4 hours. If this continued I would have had ways to prevent it, however these attacks are very rare and usually don’t continue for long. The server was never down for 24 hours ever, that I know about. I’m not sure where you got that from. If it was down some time for 24 hours next time let me know. I hope this answered many of your questions.
owner guy

Check out my YouTube and Twitch if you want.

Join The No Cancer RP Discord for updates and more.